Thursday, May 24, 2007

I want to keep this writing blog afloat but I don't seem to have any time for my writing anymore.

Piece of Advice #1 for all would-be writers: Find time to write!

Seriously. Every time I read an interview with a famous author, and the interviewer asks, "What advice would you give to just-starting-out writers out there," the author inevitably says, "Sit down and force yourself to write!" And it's true.

They suggest waking up an hour early - dear God - to get that novel done. Or scrawling out poems on napkins during your lunch hour. They don't care how you do it, just that you do it.

I need to get to it myself.

I am happy to note, however, that one of my good online friends has created a writing group for myself, herself and two other writer friends. There are only four of us, which gives me confidence in sharing my work and being vulnerable. We share and critique our writings. Naturally I haven't shared much yet because I'm not writing but I'm getting there, and it is great to know they are there for this purpose, as I am for them. One of the members shared this excellent link by chick lit author Jennifer Crusie on how to start a writing group, if anyone is interested.

No comments: