Monday, June 18, 2007

"I had some notion of wanting to write, though little inclination to actually write, which sometimes led me to believe that I should develop other notions. An obscure literary journal had just published a five-thousand-word essay I had written, and while I was pleased to have something published, the $50 and two free issues in compensation for three months of evening work seemed, somehow, inadequate. I kept sending essay, trifles, queries to national magazines, and while the editors would respond with a kind, encouraging note, even a phone call, they still, sadly, continued to publish the petty ruminations of windbags long past their prime instead of fresh new voices with interesting things to say. (Not that I'm bitter.)"

J. Maarten Troost, The Sex Lives of Cannibals

1 comment:

Estella said...

Love it. Gives me a bit of hope.

Andi