Wednesday, July 11, 2007

How do you write?

Last night I was on the phone with my favorite aunt, who is also a writer. She suggested to me that I write an outline for my novel so that I know where I'm going and can always come back to it without getting lost.

I am the to-do list/outlines type; they center me and help me figure things out. I was wondering, though, if my novel would work in that way. I have ideas but I don't have a plot start-to-finish, and normally, when I sit down and write, things just come. I couldn't do that if I were following a blueprint, you know?

So I was wondering how the rest of you writers work; from an outline or plan, or just from your imagination, or both?

4 comments:

WOLVERINE said...

I think about the story, then write it out. I make changes as I go then give it an edit or two when it's done. If I write any piece of it as an outline or something else, then the story is lost to me and becomes crap. Has to come out spontaneous and fresh to work.

Andi said...

I tend to fly by the seat of my pants. It's not the most efficient, or even productive, way, but it's what works for me.

Carol Burge said...

I HAVE to have an outline or else I'm totally all over the place.

Some people feel that using a plot outline keeps them hemmed in and stiffles thier creativity. I find it keeps me centered and focused. It's not written in stone, you can always change your direction.

To each their own!

Quillhill said...

I only form an outline and use it after most of the writing has taken place, just to help me identify what might be missing and how any gaps should be filled so it all holds together.