Friday, January 18, 2008

Thoughts on Writing and Happiness

Yesterday I went to a lunch meeting of the Austin WriterGrrls, a group of which I am a member, albeit a delinquent one. It was really nice to meet with other women writers and discuss our craft and our lives. I enjoyed myself.

I am coming to the end of my domestic violence assignment. It is due ten days from today. I think I will feel a small sense of mourning when it is done. The project has become "my baby" - I have worked on it for longer than any other and it means so much to me. When I see it in print, however, everything will culminate in the best possible way. One of the most fulfilling parts of being a writer.

Another fulfilling part is spending hours just writing. At the lunch, one woman described a Sunday morning where her daughter was out of the house. She made a pot of coffee, went back to bed with her laptop, and wrote for about four hours. We talked about how enjoyable that process is. Then last night I was listening to an interview done with Curt Finch (whose book I edited), and he spoke of how his most enjoyable moment as a programmer is writing software for hours. And I was like, hey! That's the same thing I feel while writing.

Perhaps when I have finished my degree (this month) and have put the domestic violence project behind me, I will have more time to just write. That novel ain't gonna write itself. (My Brooklyn accent comes out during moments of emphasis.)

1 comment:

Andi said...

I was just thinking about the joy of writing today. The college was off for MLK Day and I spent the day blogging, posting for some of my challenges, working on a column for Bibliobuffet, and tapping away at a short story. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Congrats on nearing the end of such an intensive project!