Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dishonesty

I am getting sick and tired of these writers who publish fake memoirs. Does no one have any integrity anymore? If you are a great fiction writer, then fine, there's a market for you. There is really no need to make up outlandish autobiography material. You wreck the credibility of all writers when you do this. If I want to write a memoir that contains an incredible (true) story or two, one that could really change someone's perspective, I now run the risk of not being believed because of Gentiles who claim to have been raised by wolves while escaping the Nazis and suburban white women who want to be gangbangers.

Many writers like myself have a great deal of respect for our craft, that's all I'm saying.

1 comment:

stu said...

I share that particular gripe, though I think perhaps the current obsession with 'reality' entertainment and true stories is probably to blame. Suddenly, what might once have sold as first person fiction looks more marketable if passed off as real.