Sunday, May 4, 2008

TSS Week 9

I do not want to go into my loss much but since I mentioned it here on the blog, and since it is affecting my writing, I would like to flesh out some thoughts without details.

Since it happened, I have lost my impetus to write. Most people write to channel grief and frustration - even I do - but this grief is so new and fresh that writing seems to require too much energy. I look at the blank document and want to run away, no matter what the writing is supposed to be about. Perhaps prompts and short exercises will be useful now, rather than anything dramatic.


I am currently reading a book called "Writing to Heal the Soul: Transforming Grief and Loss Through Writing." It seemed like an excellent concept and I have really been enjoying it. I have read 9 chapters now but have only done one exercise (from Chapter 1) so I need to tune it to the workbook aspect better. I acknowledge this :) This is why I sat down, actually... not to blog but to write out an exercise.

I recommend the book so far, and will let you know later if I find the exercises to be worthwhile.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Part of what the Salon is about is simply being here for each other when the going is tough. I hope you will always feel that you can share with the rest of us anything that is going to help you in this very difficult time. I'll bookmark you and drop by during the week as well to see how things are going.

stu said...

Sometimes the writing helps, but if you really don't feel like it, don't force yourself to. Done like that, you'll just build up a feeling for it as unpleasant and hard work.

That said, good luck with the exercises.

My Journey Through Reading... said...

I'm sorry for your loss. You'll know when the time is right to get back to writing.

gautami tripathy said...

I wrote a review of a book related to this for Sunday Salon.

samantha.1020 said...

Good luck getting back into your writing. Best wishes for you!

colleen said...

That's how I got through the losing two brothers a month apart in 2001, by writing what turned out to be a book. I wrote it in the first six months; it was definately therapy and even my blog is a manifestation of one of its ripples.

I'm wishing you well.

April said...

Thanks everyone.