Sunday, September 28, 2008

TSS Week 18

This week I am still working on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It is an audiobook on 17 CDs and I just began the 6th one. Part of me is dying to get right through it and find out what happens, but the other part of me wants to take it slow because I will miss this series.

I read more than half of Wide Sargasso Sea in the last week or two. A friend recommended it after Jane Eyre, and it is on the 1,001 Books to Read Before You Die list. It just wasn't doing it for me, though, and I finally put it to rest.

I'm also still reading Parachutes and Kisses, which is very good. I'm reading it so slowly because of the 300+ page book curse that is on me. The length makes me lose interest - not enough to drop it, but enough to take forever to read it. That wouldn't be a problem except I am forgetting and mixing up all of the protagonist's lovers.

Finally, I am reading Frankenstein for the first time through DailyLit emails. Boy, is it good! It seems to be a commentary on the danger of scientific advancement, which today makes me think of the danger of continual technological advances. I'm not anti-technology - in fact, I love it - but it's hard not to look at this character who overreaches, thinking that it is all he ever wants in the world, and lives to regret it. Makes you wonder.

4 comments:

stu said...

Not just a great book, but the source of some of my sillier inspiration.

gautami tripathy said...

I re-read Frankenstein in 2007. A thoughtful book.

My SS post is about short stories

Colleen said...

I like Frankenstein as well. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I agree with what you said about technology. I also think Shelley is making a comment on the negative effect of our fear and dislike of people who are different.

Arukiyomi - the spreadsheet guy said...

Frankenstein I read earlier this year. I reviewed it here but didn't think it was that great actually...

anyhoo...you might be interested in heading over to Arukiyomi's blog and picking up a copy of the new version of Arukiyomi's 1001 books spreadsheet.

Along with some cool new features, there are lists of both the revised 1001 books and those that were removed from the new 2008 list.

Happy reading!