Sunday, July 1, 2012

Farewell Nora Ephron



The lovely Nora Ephron passed away. Coincidentally, I was reading one of her books when it happened: I Remember Nothing.  I first found Nora through a used bookstore, where I picked up I Feel Bad About My Neck for $1. I really enjoyed it, and I was about halfway through I Remember Nothing when I learned that she had passed away.

If you were online that day, you probably saw the outpouring of tributes and love people had for Nora. She is best known for writing iconic romantic comedies like "When Harry Met Sally" and "Sleepless in Seattle."  Her books are short, fun and worth reading.  I recommend you give them a shot.  (You might also watch her Charlie Rose interview.)  It was very sad to finish I Remember Nothing today, after her passing, since she ends it by talking about aging, going to the funerals of friends, anticipating her own mortality, and even concluding with the following short chapters: "What I Won't Miss" and "What I Will Miss."

Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women.

*Note: Austin readers should not miss "I'll Have What She's Having - A Nora Ephron Tribute Bash" at BookWoman in July.

No comments: