Sunday, March 1, 2009

TSS Week 26



I read A Tale of Two Cities in high school about 10 years ago and have been meaning to reread it ever since. After watching some TV programs on the French Revolution I decided that it was time. I am so glad that I did. A 15 year old simply cannot comprehend the beauty that is this novel.

Very few books have ever made me cry, and this is one of those select few. One of the best things about it, aside from Dickens' powerful prose, was the fact that he did not make it good vs. evil, black vs. white. The reader feels sorry for the despised poor who are so sorely misused that they live their lives in misery. S/he also feels sorry for the aristocrats who are being carted off to the guillotine in droves. There are no right answers, and there are no easy explanations. Everyone is a victim, and everyone is a villain.

While I'm at it, I am going to read another work that is set during the French Revolution: Les Misérables. I know it is a monster and I usually can't hack those but DailyLit emails make everything manageable.

1 comment:

stu said...

Or you could watch the musical.